So I guess I should tell the story of how she came into our lives. I went to see Dr. Thackery on the 23rd for my weekly check. Dr. Barton was out of the office because he was on vacation in Hawaii. Just my luck! At my visit the week before, Dr. Barton told me that I was only dilated to 1/2 cm and that my body was acting like a typical first time mom. It looked like I was going to be following my mother's footsteps and having this baby over her due date. We decided to set up my induction date for March 3, 2011. So, on the 23rd when Dr. Thackery checked me, he didn't give me much hope for a sooner delivery. I was only dilated to 1cm and 50% efaced. I guess that news was better than nothing but I was hoping I had made more progress. I had been doing everything I could possibly think of to cause labor. William and I continued to do things to induce labor i.e. walking, spicy food, etc. We went to bed really late on the 24th. So late that it was actually the 25th at 2 AM! As soon as we got into bed I couldn't sleep. Every so often I would feel this painful tightening in my stomach and pelvic area. I never really had braxton hicks throughout my pregnancy so I didn't know exactly what a contraction felt like. William woke up about a half wour after going to bed with an extremely painful migraine. I went and took and shower, got some pain killers and went back to bed. I told him not to worry about me because if I was going into labor I needed him to feel better so he could support me in this next adventure. After 4 hours of contractions I decided to get out of bed and watch tv to keep my mind off of the pain. I layed on the couch for several minutes and then decided to wake William up to come distract me from the pain. He called into work because we felt that the baby was coming for sure. William found an application on his phone that kept track of the contractions. The contractions were ranging anywhere from 5-20 minutes but were not consistent at all. We tried everything to deal with the pain, massages, bathing, etc. At about PM we decided to go shopping and walking around. We went to Home Fabrics, Quilted Bear, Best Buy, and and Smith's (we stocked up on 30 boxes of cereal). Despite all this walking around the contractions were not progressing. They were still just as inconsistent as they had been earlier. We decided to go home and rest. We had planned to have dinner with Alissa and Chris Miller that night. We decided to keep our dinner plans with them. The funny thing is that I spoke with Alissa several time throughout the day keeping her updated on my progress. Every time that I spoke with her the contractions seemed to be closer together. When I wouldn't talk to her they would get further apart. We kept going back an forth as to whether or not we should keep our dinner plans or go to the hospital. Everyone we would talk to said, don't go to the hospital until the contractions are 5 minutes apart lasting 1 minute for at least an hour. We went and picked up La Hacienda and headed over to Alissa's. We ate dinner and were there for about one hour. We had continued monitoring the contractions and they were on average 5-7 minutes apart. I was getting irritated with this. I told William, "Let's just go to the hospital and see what's going on, if they send us home than that's fine."
We got to the hospital at about 9 PM and they checked us in and sent us to a room. The first nurse's name was Shannon. She came in and checked me. To my surprise she waid I was dilated to 4 cm and 90% efaced. I was shocked. She told us that she wanted us to go walk the halls for the next 45 minutes and then she would check me again. I was more than happy to. It seemed that all my walking earlier had paid off. 45 minutes later she checked me again and I was dilated to 5 cm! Yea! Baby Kadynce was on her way. At that point I got a new nurse named Deb. They wanted to give me an IV at this point just in case I would need any medictions or fluids at any time. I was so nervous. Both of the nurses had told me that I needed to consider getting the epidural. I really didn't want one because I was scared of the pain. They both proceeded to tell me that the IV was much worse than getting the epidural. This was a mistake because they had not given me the IV yet. I was so scared. They were also debating on the location of where the IV should be placed. They decided to go with the arm and suprisingly it did not hurt. Dr. Irion came in and broke my water at about 11 PM. For the next 3-4 hours the doctors and nurses would check me. After three times of checking I was still dilated to 5cm. I was doing pretty good dealing with the pain but I began I feel sick. I couldn't focus on my pain management at all and I began throwing up like crazy. I had had it and my body was so past done. I could no longer focus on the pain because I was vomiting everything I had eaten. I decided to get the epidural at about 2:30 AM. The anesthesiologist was in within about a minute. I was so scared. I was shaking like crazy as we was trying to give me the injections. Before I knew it, he was done. However, they then proceeded to tell me that it would take 10-15 minutes to go numb. I was miserable. However, I had a lot of support there helping me get through the pain. My legs began to feel numb and tingly. There was one spot on the right side by my hip bone that was feeling a very sharp pain. It would not go away and I was exhausted. They called the anesthesiologist in and he gave me the c-section dose of the epidural. After this I could not feel anything. My sister-in-law felt my leg and I couldn't feel it at all. It felt like my legs were floating and they didn't even belong to me. I thought my legs were together and apparently they were spread wide open. I felt so much better. I even was able to take a 2 hour nap. I hadn't slept for 24 hours so I was exhausted. Within an hour of getting the epidural they checked me again and I was dilated to 7 cm. I am glad that I went for the epidural because apparently my body was having a hard time relaxing. At about 7 AM they came and checked me again and I was dilated to to 10cm. I was ready to have my baby. They decided that they wanted to let the baby descend into the birth canal a bit and that they would wait a while to have me push. Once when Dr. Iion had checked me he mentioned that I had a narrow pelvis and that the baby may have a difficult time going through the birth canal. That is probably why they wanted the baby to descend on its own. Finally at 8:45 AM they wanted me to start pushing. I got another nurse at this point named Kim. She was amazing! She was such an awesome coach and support. William was also amazing. I couldn't done it without his love and encouragement. The two of them were the most amazing team. My contractions were still not cooperating at this point. By the time most people start pushing their contractions are 2 minutes apart. Not mine! They were still completely sporatic. They decided to put me on pitocin to speed up the process. It did not seem to help at all. The contractions were still inconsistent. It seemed that everytime the doctor would come in to help the process along, we would have to wait about 5-7 minutes for me to have a contration. Dr. Terry was the doctor at this point. He was an awesome addition to the team. He was also very supportive and encouraging. After 3 hours of pushing, Kadynce finally was in the correct position ready to be delivered. They started getting everything ready and told us that our baby would be here within about 10 minutes. I watched the whole process through a mirror that they provided. It was amazing. Dr. Terry kept joking that the reason why the pushing had taken so long was because of how much hair the baby had. He would give the family updates and told them that I had pushed out 8 more hairs. Unfortunately, he had to give me an episiotomy. I really didn't want one, but he showed William exactly why I needed one and William agreed that it was the best option. The incision was about 1 inch long. After about 4 pushes I suddenly heard the slight little cries of Kadynce. She came out wide eyed and was exploring the world immediately. They layed her on my stomach and started cleaning her off. She started pooping all over the place a skill she has continued. Kim's first comment was in regard to how long Kadynce's eyelashes were. I took one look at William and another look at the baby and started bawling. I was so happy and amazed at what I was looking at in front of me. She was perfect! They took her and weighed her and bundled her up. When they brought her back a held her so tightnever wanting to let her go. My first comment to William was to check her feet for a webbed toe. Unfortuneately, she did not have one. When they were checking her vitals, they noticed that she had a temperature. They suspected some sort of infection. Who wouldn't have an infection after 3 hours in the birth canal. They wanted to send her to the NICU for testing and antibiotics. During labor I had developed a slight fever so they assumed I had passed something on to her. They let the family come in and see her before they wheeled her away to be poked and prodded at. The whole experience was so surreal. after a total of about 33 hours of labor, we can say she is finally here and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!
Weighing in at 7 lbs 15 oz
Uncle Zach was the first family member to hold Kadynce
This is my exhausted face!
What a beautiful baby!

Kadynce's first bath
All clean! First glimpse of the boxing gloves Kadynce sported due to IV's.
She was exhausted but still so cute!


Cute little hat! So stylish!
Many peopel came to visit us at the hospital. We tried to take pictures of everyone, but there were a few people that we missed. Alissa and Chris Miller, Candice Lee, Cindy Timothy, Aunt Rosie, and Uncle Daniel unfortunately did not get their photos taken.
Kadynce and Grandma De Jong





10 comments:
Congrats! She is so beautiful!!
Congrats, she is a doll!
yay! i need to come see that beautiful baby! love you sarah! so happy for you!
So happy for you guys. She is a beautiful baby! Enjoy every minute with her!
yay! congrats!!
She is absolutely beautiful!!!!! Congrats sarah!
I am so happy for the both of you. She is gorgeous and we are so glad everything went ok, love you guys!!
Could not be happier for you! Your sweet story brought a tear to my eye! Congrats again
Congratulations!!! She is beautiful! This makes me so excited to meet Kaylee! I can't wait for all our play dates!
Congrats on baby Kadynce! Glad your little family is doing well. Dave says Hi :)
Post a Comment